2018 General Municipal Election
GENERAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION - NOVEMBER 6, 2018
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that a General Municipal Election will be held in the City of Arroyo Grande on Tuesday, November 6, 2018, for the following Offices:
- For one (1) Mayor for a full term of two (2) years
- For two (2) Members of the City Council for full terms of four (4) years
The nomination period for these offices begins on July 16, 2018 and closes on August 10, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. If nomination papers for an incumbent officer of the City are not filed by August 10, 2018, the filing deadline will be extended to August 15, 2018. This extension is not applicable to incumbents.
Individuals interested in running for office can download Running for Local Office - A Quick Reference Guide for basic information about running for local office. This Guide is not intended to be a comprehensive document and does not include the forms required when running for office. If you are interested in running for a seat on the City Council please contact the City Clerk's Office at 805-473-5400 and schedule appointment to receive the required candidate materials. A Candidate Handbook , accompanied by the required forms, will be provided to a potential candidate when the nomination paper is issued during the nomination period. .
Candidates Running for Elective Office
For the Office of Mayor: (vote for one):
For the Office of Council Member (vote for two):
Campaign Disclosure Statements
The Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) requires campaign disclosure reports from committees, candidates and elected officials at various times of the year. The City Clerk serves as the Filing Officer for local candidates. All filings are scanned and available for public review on the City's website. Original documents (un-redacted) are public information and available in the City Clerk's Office for review during regular business hours Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Copies of statements can be made upon receipt of payment to the City of 10 cents per page.
The South County Chambers of Commerce hosted a Candidate Forum for Arroyo Grande candidates on Thursday, September 13, 2018 at the South County Regional Center. To view a rebroadcast of the Forum, visit the CAL-Span website.
To be eligible to vote at the November 6, 2018 election, you must be registered to vote no later than Monday, October 22, 2018. For more information regarding voter registration or to obtain a vote-by-mail ballot: Visit the County Clerk-Recorder's Office - Elections and Voting
Additional Election Information and Resources
- Fair Political Practices Commission: The Technical Assistance Division of the FPPC will provide telephone assistance Monday - Thursday, 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM at (866) 275-3772 concerning campaign filing requirements and conflicts of interest.
- Temporary Signs: Requirements for temporary signs, as stated in the Arroyo Grande Municipal Code.
- Arroyo Grande City Clerk's Office: The City Clerk is responsible for coordinating the Municipal Election and receiving all Campaign Filing Statements for local candidates. To contact the City Clerk's Office, call (805) 473-5400, Monday through Thursday, 8 am to 5 pm (except holidays), or e-mail Kelly Wetmore.
- San Luis Obispo County Election's Office: Find your polling place, voter status and more online.
- Voter's Edge California is a joint project of MapLight and the League of Women Voters of California Education Fund to provide a comprehensive, nonpartisan online guide to elections covering federal, state, and local elections in the State of California.
- California Easy Voter Guide provides new voters and busy voters with nonpartisan information for statewide elections in California.
- Success in Public Service: What You Need to Know Before You Are Appointed or Elected