Pre-Designed Accessory Dwelling Units
The cities of Arroyo Grande, Atascadero, Grover Beach, and Morro Bay obtained grant funding as joint applicant to hire a consultant and create a pre-approved Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) plan program. The goal of this joint effort is to expedite the ADU permitting process and encourage the construction of accessory units to support our regional housing goals. This page lays out the options and process for using the pre-designed plans.
The unit sizes range from a 316 square foot studio to a 1,007 square foot two-bedroom unit and are available in four different architectural styles, shown below.
Plan sets for each of the six unit sizes can be viewed by clicking the links at the bottom of the page.
How to Begin
- Choose a size and architectural style for the ADU. Some things to take into consideration:
- Complementary architectural styles and materials are encouraged
- By-right ADUs allow for a reduced setback minimum of four (4) feet from property line
- Submit a building permit application via the City’s online Permit Portal. The application shall include:
- Staff will then email the applicant a link to the construction plans
- Once the plans are received, the applicant can update the Project Information section of the cover sheet, check the appropriate boxes for optional design choices, and insert a site plan of the property. The site plan shall include:
- Dimensioned property lines
- Footprint of ADU
- Distances from ADU to property lines and other structures on the property
- Utility connections
- Erosion control plan
- Upload the plans to the Permit Portal with the items from Step 4 completed for staff review. When site plan review is complete the building permit is ready to issue!